Wolves in chase for Manchester United-linked star as Nuno delivers transfer update

Wolves in chase for Manchester United-linked star as Nuno delivers transfer update

43
0
SHARE


Hammer time

West Ham assistant Alan Irvine believes Wolves will not miss a beat despite the changes to their squad this summer.

The Scot took press duties ahead of the teams’ clash at the London Stadium on Saturday due to David Moyes’ positive coronavirus test.

He gave an update about Moyes’ health – and his thoughts on the strengthening Wolves have done after bolstering Nuno Espirito Santo’s squad.

Wolves’ senior group remained relatively constant last season, with very selected additions. However, this summer they have brought in Fábio Silva, Marçal, Ki-Jana Hoever, Nélson Semedo and Vitinha on loan.

There’s a quick and easy way to stay on top of all the Wolverhampton Wanderers news with our daily newsletter.

Delivered straight into your email inbox each day, the bulletins will feature the latest Wolves news, views, gossip and opinion.

All you have to do is punch your email in at the top of the article – it looks just like this…

Wolves newsletter box.jpg 

And what’s more, it’s absolutely free!

You can also get all the latest updates by following us on Facebook and Twitter.

We also have a free app which you can download. It is always up-to-date with the latest news from across the region. Google Play Store and App Store

But former West Brom boss Irvine doesn’t think they’ll lose continuity.

“Wolves have had some players leave and some players join, but I don’t expect it to unsettle them for sure,” he said.

“They’ve got a lot of very good players and looking at their performances in the Premier League games so far, they have shown they’ll be a very good team again this year.

“From our point of view, we didn’t win the game or get a point at Arsenal last year, but there were a lot of pleasing things, as there have been in the Carabao Cup games as well.

“We were disappointed with how we played in the game against Newcastle, but we’re happy with how we’ve played since then.

“We need a good performance against a what will be a very good team and we have to try and get some points on the board as soon as possible.

The fixture list hasn’t been kind in the way it’s come out for us at the beginning and we probably all knew that from the moment we saw it.”

Rising star

Wolverhampton Wanderers are claimed to be in a three-way battle to sign Rayan Aït-Nouri, according to reports.

French outlet Le10 Sport, via Sport Witness, says Wolves are interested in the Angers star who they say ‘has turned the heads of many European clubs’.

They reckon the fight for the 19-year-old’s signature will come down to three of those clubs – Wolves, Barcelona and Bayer Leverkusen.

They say he will join one of them ‘in all likelihood’ but that Bundesliga outfit Leverkusen are the one who have made a firm offer – short of Angers’ €20million asking price.

They claim the saga will come down to the final few days of the window. Wolves have already strengthened left back, with Marcal arriving at the club.

Rayan Aït-Nouri has also been linked with Manchester United – with one report in Get Football News France staying Jorge Mendes is desperate to bring him to the Premier League.

It was claimed he would go to Crystal Palace in the last window but that broke down. As well as Angres he has played for France and Under 18 and U21 level.

There’s a quick and easy way to stay on top of all the Wolverhampton Wanderers news with our daily newsletter.

Delivered straight into your email inbox each day, the bulletins will feature the latest Wolves news, views, gossip and opinion.

All you have to do is punch your email in at the top of the article – it looks just like this…

Wolves newsletter box.jpg 

And what’s more, it’s absolutely free!

You can also get all the latest updates by following us on Facebook and Twitter.

We also have a free app which you can download. It is always up-to-date with the latest news from across the region. Google Play Store and App Store

Big break

The signing of Portuguese defender Nelson Semedo could eventually become the most expensive in Wolverhampton Wanderers history.

Wolves have paid FC Barcelona £27.6million (€30m) up front for Semedo and the deal could rise to a club-record £36.6million (€40m) depending on add-ons.

It’s the second time Semedo has been involved in a transfer involving such extraordinary sums of cash – but his story started in much more humble surroundings.


In addition to Barcelona, whom many class as the world’s grandest football club, Semedo’s CV includes Portuguese powerhouse Benfica.

But his latest big money move will be most celebrated in Mira-Sintra, a small town on the outskirts of Lisbon which is the home to third tier club Sport União Sintrense.

Given the magnitude of the last two clubs Semedo has represented, many forget that he started his career with Sintrense before being sold to Benfica for an estimated €100,000 in 2012.

Semedo’s career – which includes eight major domestic honours, 178 elite-level appearances for club and 13 for country – is the talk of the town and its amateur football club may never develop another player like him.

His journey to the Premier League is all the more remarkable when you consider how close he came to not making it.

Transfer talk

Nuno Espirito Santo hasn’t ruled out further transfer business at Wolverhampton Wanderers before the window shuts next month.

Nelson Semedo became Wolves’ fifth signing of the window earlier this week, following on from Fabio Silva, Marcal, Vitinha and Ki-Jana Hoever’s arrivals.

The club have also sold two high-profile players in Matt Doherty and Diogo Jota to Tottenham and Liverpool respectively and more deals could be struck before the deadline on October 5.

“It’s very hard for us, for all the clubs and all the managers,” said Nuno. “We have to be ready for anything that can happen. Ins and outs. When it’s finished it’s all about having a balanced squad – one that is ready to compete.

“We have our eyes wide open, so we can react if we need to. Until the transfer window closes it’s all about reacting to things that might happen.”

Semedo – who joins for an initial £27.6million – could make his debut against West Ham on Sunday after enjoying his first few training sessions with his new teammates.

“We are bringing in a high quality player – a player that played at the highest level in European football. He’s a good character and has integrated very well.

“He arrived two or three days ago. We are very happy to have him.”





Source link

LEAVE A REPLY