The Duke, 36, and Duchess of Sussex, 39, who are currently living in their $14 million mansion in California, were stripped of their royal patronages by the Queen, 94, days ago, and shocked many by issuing a barbed statement in response to the palace.
Sources said Prince William has been left ‘really sad and genuinely shocked’ by his brother’s behaviour towards the Queen, branding it ‘highly disrespectful’.
Fashion designer Roberto Devorik, who remained a friend of Diana all her adult life, has now claimed the late royal would have been angered over the recent fall-out because she wanted him to help shape a ‘modern monarchy.’
He said Meghan and Diana wouldn’t have got along ‘in any way’, telling Hola! magazine: ‘I think Meghan is the boss… Harry is a boy who suffered a lot and believes that Meghan has the legacy of Diana. But he is very confused.’
Princess Diana would have been ‘furious’ with ‘confused’ Prince Harry over Megxit, fashion designer Roberto Devorik, who was a close friend of Princess Diana, has claimed
Fashion impresario Roberto said Princess Diana had told him ‘many times’ that she ‘wanted her children to be princes of a ‘modern Crown’ and said the royal would have been ‘furious’ with Prince Harry over Megxit.
Meanwhile he called the Queen’s decision to strip the couple of their patronages ‘logical’.
Declaring Prince Harry ‘the Queen’s favourite grandson’, Roberto said Her Majesty had been forced to put ‘Crown first’, adding: ‘For the Crown, what Harry has done is unforgivable.’
He explained: ‘You cannot exile yourself and collect money from Netflix or Disney and also want to continue collecting from the State for your performances for the Crown.
Roberto claimed the late royal had told him she wanted her children to be ‘princes of the modern Crown’ and would have been angered by the Sussexes’ behaviour (pictured together in 1987)
‘You cannot live in a mansion in Montecito, California, and sign millionaire commercial contracts , and also want to receive money from the public coffers or continue to represent the Crown.’
On Friday it was announced that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex had been stripped of their remaining roles after their 12-month trial separation from royal life and move to the US.
The couple then issued a sharp rebuke, declaring they would offer ‘continued support to the organisations they have represented regardless of official role’.
They signed off: ‘We can all live a life of service. Service is universal.’
Princess Diana and Roberto Devorik pictured while lunching at a private house in Holland Park in 1995
The fashion designer claimed the Queen’s decision to strip Prince Harry and Meghan of their royal patronages ‘logical’ and branded the couple’s sharp statement in response to the decision ‘shameful’
Devorik branded the statement from the couple ‘shameful’, adding that nobody is ‘forbidding’ Harry from helping people, but he shouldn’t ‘receive the privileges from The Crown.’
He said the Duke will now have ‘a normal life’ which is ‘what he wanted.’
Tensions have heightened since the Duke and Duchess issued their sharp statement on Friday, with sources close to the monarch told The Sunday Times that the riposte was ‘petulant and insulting to the Queen’.
A source told the Mail: ‘Their statement in response to the Queen’s heartfelt sentiment that the couple are still much-loved members of her family was considered highly disrespectful.’
According to Roberto, Prince Harry is ‘very confused’ and ‘believes Meghan has the legacy’ of his late mother (pictured, with Prince William in 1995)
Royal sources said it was ‘horribly disrespectful’ and ”you can’t line your pockets while undertaking official duties’.
It has been revealed that a ‘battle royale’ over their royal titles had raged behind the scenes, with the Queen telling the couple their commercial careers were completely incompatible with the impartiality required of those in public service.
According to one official, she made it ‘abundantly clear’ to her grandson that when it comes to being a working royal you are either in, or you are out, telling him: ‘You work for the monarchy, the monarchy doesn’t work for you.’
Meanwhile the Duke of Cambridge is said to be ‘very upset by what has happened’ and feels Harry has been ‘insulting and disrespectful’ to their grandmother.
With negotiations already tense, the revelation that the couple have conducted a tell-all interview with Oprah sent matters into free fall and was deemed to be the final straw.
The couple are said to have ‘poured their hearts out’ to Ms Winfrey during a two-day shoot in their £11million LA mansion last week.
The tell-all interview is due to air on Sunday March 7 with no topics off-limits with one source warning Harry’s family the show would be a good ‘time to hide behind the sofa at the palace’.
Yesterday it was announced the Queen will steal a march on Prince Harry and Meghan and beat them to the airwaves by addressing the nation on TV supported by Prince Charles and Prince William just hours before the Sussexes’ interview.